Mel's Reviews > Saving Fish from Drowning

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan

Aug 02, 2007

did not like it
Recommended for: an insomniac

Oh Good Lord! What an awful waste of time!

This was a torture to finish, but I was really holding out for an ending that would make the misery worth while. But nay - that was not to be the case.

Here was an opportunity for a dozen world travelers to have an adventure. And they may have had one, but it HAD to be more interesting than the telling we got from Amy. Even the sexual escapades were boring. How can that be? How were these people so boring AND so gullible?

The characters were not believeable, the plot was not believeable, the fact that none of them died of boredom was not believeable. Younger White Brother? Why not exploit that one a bit more.

I guess I should have known - another story told from the perspective of a ghost. I guess the dead but not crossed over just aren't very good story tellers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Fish from Drowning.

03/22/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Recommended for: "an insomniac": HA! :) You said it!

message 2: by Randee (new) - added it

Randee I haven't read the book but I loved your review! It was the biggest chuckle I've had today. I'm following your reviews-I want to read more of them!!

message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Randee wrote: "I haven't read the book but I loved your review! It was the biggest chuckle I've had today. I'm following your reviews-I want to read more of them!!"

Thanks, Randee. You made me smile.

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua I'm not very far along with this book (audio book), but it seems to be satire. I think part of Tan's humor is how vacant these socialites and trust funders really are. I don't get the impression that she is going for realistic, so I'm enjoying the caricature-like people who inhabit the story. Maybe I'll fall off this one before it's conclusion, but at the moment I'm finding it to be pretty fun.

message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Josh, that may be true. Reading vs listening can lead to different conclusions.

message 6: by Joshua (new)

Joshua That's a great point. Tan reads the audio book and her delivery has a strong under current of irony. I'm not sure how I would have taken the book as an actual read.

Ellen Taylor I love this book. Going in for another read. Read it five years ago.
I find it hilarious. And entertaining in a dark sort of way.such a strong commentary on characters of our times.

Tessa Agree! The main characters are a boring bunch of privileged touro's and the plot is ah...dissapointing!

Ellen Taylor wow I think Amy's sense of humor must just be farcical like my own.She makes fun of so many things in this story. She pokes at older myths and fables,she even seems to poke fun at variations of herself,as iconic cultural chinese madam. I believe it's meant as a political satire in its crudest form.
they are mostly all fools, that is the point.

Marcia Mieritz I found Amy Tan's "Saving Fish From Drowning" lacking in substance and cohesion. Very disappointing to have spent the time reading it without getting involved with the characters. I found myself backtracking to find out what I must have missed - From preparations for the trip, the group process in deciding what they would do and see, and finally their being held hostage for a time. Their return merely told me that they got about as much out of the trip as I did reading about it. Relationships didn't last from bonding in a faraway land or relationships took a cruel turn as in the case of Roxanne. The fact that one fellow was gay and had a lover awaiting his return added nothing to the gist of the story. But I guess, for me, there was no gist to the story anyway. I sort of liked the idea that she used Nats in a way that assisted characters in making decisions or giving some sort of meaning to their experiences.

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Marcia wrote: "I found Amy Tan's "Saving Fish From Drowning" lacking in substance and cohesion. Very disappointing to have spent the time reading it without getting involved with the characters. I found myself ba..."
I agree, Marcia - A big waste of time

Victoria Anderson-throop I agree. I tortured my way through this book with the mistaken hope that it would improve, but alas it simply zipped along on its downward spiral. I am mystified. What happened? Did I lose my " good reader" status or or has this fine writer turned down a different path? Still hope ful in Alaska, Victoria