Scooper Speaks's Reviews > The Daemon Whisperer

The Daemon Whisperer by Candice Bundy

Sep 24, 12

liked it
Read in September, 2012

3.5 I was given a review copy by the author.

Favorite Lines: “I am very attracted to you, Meri, despite all the times you’ve lied to me and called me a bastard. I see someone with tremendous potential and a tenacity to match my own. I won’t take advantage of your binding. If you want things to continue as before, it’s up to you. I’ll follow your lead.” (p. 138)

The idea behind The Daemon Whisperer is a good one. In the future society is controlled by different corporations instead of governments. In this world live people who can summon daemons from Sheol (their world). Usually daemon summoners are short lived. Daemons are violent, demanding and tricky. Summoners must be careful with the wording they use and always be a step ahead or they will die in a painful manner. After every summoning the summoner is left with a new tattoo from the daemon dealt with. No one know what will happen if the summoner runs out of bare skin to be tattooed.

Meriwether has been summoning daemons for years. She is careful, but doesn’t expect to live out the year as she’s running out of bare skin. Early on in the book she is contacted by a handsome daemon who looks nothing like those she has dealt with in the past. He offers her an opportunity she can’t resist, assassinate an arch daemon and in return he will give her the name of the daemon wo murdered her parents. This prospect pulls her from all she’s ever known and introduces her to a world she never dreamed she’d be part of.

For the most part I enjoyed reading The Daemon Whisperer. Meriwether was straightforward. She knew what she wanted and went after it. She had realistic thoughts about the world and didn’t allow moral issues to prevent her from moving forward. She was ruled by a need to get revenge on the daemon who destroyed her family. As the book progressed she transformed from being a person who only relied on herself to trusting others to assist her. It was nice to see her grow.

The Daemon Whisperer is an urban fantasy novel with a strong romance storyline. The heroine finds love and companionship, as well as a completely new life and outlook on life. I only have a few criticisms to voice. One, toward the end of the book the editing is off. Extra words are used erroneously. For example, “Once of the other daemon hunters were incapacitated…”. That happens a few times.

I also felt like the story went on a few chapters too long. Instead of wrapping up the story it was like reading the first few chapters of a new book. We’re given a possibly life altering dilemma and a new violent situation, but not time to follow up. Had the story ended before those new things were introduced I would have been satisfied. Instead I felt like I missed something. The originality of The Daemon Whisperer kept me flipping pages and interested enough to pick up book two, The Madness Path, when it’s released. I’m hoping it will expand on some parts of the world building which are mentioned, but not explored.
Scooper Speaks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daemon Whisperer.