Jeremy's Reviews > The Brimstone Journals

The Brimstone Journals by Ron Koertge

Dec 12, 08

Read in December, 2008

This was a quick read, but in its short pages it covers pretty much every issue of the teenage generation today: Freedom, going green, being superior. Fears of fitting in, and fears of standing out. It is a well written book. The characters voice stands out alot, and there is much dialect; especially with the "ghetto fabulous" Neesha.
My English teacher believed the author could have possibly been at a convention and the topic was problems in Americas youth, and then Koertge just expanded it into this book. The only thing that bugged me, like many good books, is it ended too soon.I wanted more, I wanted to hear more. I hope I can find a book that may expand on these subjects. It would even be better, even though the chances are slim, if the author wrote a book expanding on a few characters into a full-fledged novel.
After connecting with two of the many characters - Jennifer, the daughter of a pastor questioning her own faith and David, the video game junkie - It brought a new feel to the book. I felt more in the words, and I connected more. I love it when bokoks make you reflect on your own life, and make you think...What If?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brimstone Journals.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terry Forgot the Green piece. I think your review is quite well done. You may want to check into some of his other books - The Arizona Kidis longer.