FicusFan's Reviews > Murder is Binding

Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett

Feb 08, 09

bookshelves: book-groups, american, fiction, mystery, new-england, new-hampshire, book-stores, read-2009, read-2-09
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed this book, and I didn't expect to like it much. Color me surprised.

I am not a fan of Cozy mysteries. They seem too perfect too plastic. They lack the sense that they are about lives that have been intersected by violence/mystery, rather they seem carefully constructed lives just for the mystery.

Anyway the supporting characters here won me over, as did the way the main character's difficult relationship with her sister was handled. The POV seemed to grow and yet it wasn't made perfect by the end of the book.

The book is set in fictional Stoneham, NH which has become a Booktown, with many small stores coming in to revive the dying town. It is based on nearby Milford, NH. I ended up reading it for a RL book group.

The story of this book is the owner of the Cookbook store is murdered, and the POV, the owner of the Mystery bookstore is the main suspect. She has to investigate to prove her innocence, since the local sheriff has already decided she is guilty.

I was eventually sucked into the story, despite the early plastic-ness. There was also a genuine warmth for the characters and their lives that I really liked.
The story had an awkward moment when there was shift from one suspect to another. But it was minor. The ending was quite exciting. I will read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder is Binding.