Leanna's Reviews > The Saint Zita Society

The Saint Zita Society by Ruth Rendell

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: mysterious
Read from September 12 to 13, 2012

I can always count on Ruth Rendell. Her standalone novels (which I love more than the Wexford series) are full of weird characters with morbid habits, and this book didn't disappoint.

The book flap implies that Dex, the man recently released from a mental institution (he tried to stab his mother), whose cellphone service provider is a god inside his phone, is the main character. But he's really one of an assortment who make up the Saint Zita Society- a group of servants and house-workers all living on the same street. As always, the characters are terrible and admirable, a mixture of evil and good.

The best part of Ruth Rendell's books is watching the story unfold. We already suspect from the beginning that Dex's tendency to mental instability will cause something terrible to happen, but the fun (if you can call it that!) is in seeing how everything connects like an intricate puzzle, leading to the inevitable outcome of murder.

There's more than one murder in the book, and some 'accidental' deaths, too. I loved the way everything fit together. And again, I can't get over the names of the characters- Ruth Rendell is the best at names!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Saint Zita Society.

09/12/2012 page 25
8.0% "Oh Ruth Rendell- your characters are always wonderful and quirky. And the names, fave right now being Montserrat."