Julie's Reviews > Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project

Listening Is an Act of Love by Dave Isay

Dec 12, 2008

bookshelves: haveread
Read in December, 2008

This is the first book I have read for a new book club I joined and it is not one I would have picked, but I really enjoyed it. This book is a collection of interviews of people across the United States. Basically you go into a booth and are given 40 minutes to talk about anything (your life, your loves, a specific experience) with another person or a facilitator. At the end of the 40 minutes, two CDs are recorded - one for you and one the goes into the Library of Congress as an archive of American history.

This book is a compilation of many of these stories. The stories range from family life, work life, to experiences that changed a person's life. I found myself looking forward to the next story and immersed an people who grew up in a different world than I have. There are stories of survivors from 9-11 and Katrina that are heartwrenching. I highly recommend this book. It is moving and offers a glipse into our history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listening Is an Act of Love.