Barbara's Reviews > The Narrows

The Narrows by Michael Connelly

F 50x66
Aug 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: harry-bosch-novels, i-love-la, mystery, serial-killers, social-issues
Read in July, 2012

This is Harry Bosch's 10th outing, and here he's joined by FBi agent Rachel Walling, seen in a previous work of Connelly's ("The Poet"). Unfortunately, The Poet has resurfaced, and at least 14 murders are attributed to him in this current wave of mayhem. The characters are complex, conflicted, and most of all believable. Even the two major locations, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, are drawn with such intensity that they almost become characters in themselves. The plot is intricate, surprising, and challenging -- but ultimately so finely composed and exquisitely executed that even the final shock in the last few pages, while completely unsuspected, still resonates with complete authenticity and credibility.

The book opens with the powerful intensity of the threat of evil: "I knew that my life's mission would always take me to the places where evil waits, to the places where the truth that I might find would be an ugly and horrible thing. And still I went without pause. And still I went, not being ready for the moment when evil would come from its waiting place. When it would grab at me like an animal and take me down into the black water." And it ends with the dawn of hope: "I looked out at the city and thought it was beautiful. The rain had cleaned the sky out and I could see all the way to the San Gabriels and the snow-covered peaks beyond. The air seemed to be as clean and pure as the air breathed by the Gabrielenos and the padres so many years before. I saw what they had seen in the place. It was the kind of day you felt you could build a future on." And in between is the best mystery fiction today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Narrows.