Richard's Reviews > The Best American Science Writing 2001

The Best American Science Writing 2001 by Timothy Ferris

Feb 19, 09

bookshelves: science, nonfiction, essays-and-shorts, unfinished, to-read

(Still reading...)

Quote from page 67, in Richard Preston's bio essay on Craig Venter, "The Genome Warrior" (originally published in The New Yorker):
I placed some of the DNA on the ends of my fingers and rubbed them together. The stuff was sticky. It began to dissolve on my skin. "It's melting -- like cotton candy."
"Sure. That's the sugar in the DNA," Smith said.
"Would it taste sweet?"
"No. DNA is an acid, and it's got salts in it. Actually, I've never tasted it."
Later, I got some dried calf DNA. I placed a bit of the fluff on my tongue. It melted into a gluey ooze that stuck to the roof of my mouth in a blob. The blob felt slippery on my tongue, and the taste of pure DNA appeared. It had a soft taste, unsweet, rather bland, with a touch of acid and a hint of salt. Perhaps like the earth's primordial sea. It faded away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Science Writing 2001.

Quotes Richard Liked

Timothy Ferris
“I placed some of the DNA on the ends of my fingers and rubbed them together. The stuff was sticky. It began to dissolve on my skin. 'It's melting -- like cotton candy.'
'Sure. That's the sugar in the DNA,' Smith said.
'Would it taste sweet?'
'No. DNA is an acid, and it's got salts in it. Actually, I've never tasted it.'

Page 67, in Richard Preston's biographical essay on Craig Venter, "The Genome Warrior" (originally published in The New Yorker in 2000).
Timothy Ferris, The Best American Science Writing 2001

12/18/2008 page 32
9.09% "I wish I understood extreme math."
02/19/2009 page 90
25.57% "Just before "DNA on Trial", except the book was due back at the library yesterday. So... to be continued."