Kelly's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Aug 24, 2012

bookshelves: pcc-recommendations
Read from August 24 to 30, 2012

Telling a love story backwards using the box of stuff that is all that is left after the break up? Brilliant. So many universal themes and feelings crammed into 354 pages and I loved the illustrations. Another day off spent in pajamas until noon.

The ending is no secret, you know they break up, but the impeding doom does not take away from wanting to go on the journey and savor the sweet moments even though you know it won't last. I felt drafted into the legion of Min's friends who knew all along this guy was no good for her but were there to catch her when it all fell apart.

For me, the notes, ticket stubs, ugly jewelry, dried flowers, photos....it all went up in flames during a New Year's Eve bonfire, I tossed it in on top of the dried-up wreath and felt a load lifted. The inventory and exhaustive letter Min writes would be way too much for me.

I love that we were spared the drama of more in-person confrontation that you know probably went down after the book ended.

I withhold one star because I often got lost in the dialogue and had to backtrack to figure out who was saying what.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.

Patricia Yay!