MichelleCH's Reviews > The Secret History

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Dec 25, 11

bookshelves: 1001
Read from November 27 to December 25, 2011

Initially I wasn't fond of the pace...but I came to terms with the subtley of the story. Although described as a murder mystery, I would say that it is more of a dissection of obsessions, both physical and in the ideal. Set in Vermont at a liberal arts college, five students study the classics with their doting yet narcissistic professor. Their study leads to a frightening night and all of them deal with the reprocussions for several months by lying, deceiving and further developing their bizarre relationship and codependence on one another. A codependence that becomes increasingly necessary as they try to resume what they perceive to be a normal life. What is real and what is manipulation becomes harder to sort as you go on..This is a book that needs some thought and a reread in the future and will not wrap up the story in a neat package at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History.

12/11/2011 page 40
7.0% "Nice start, why does academia complement creepiness?..looking forward to the group read on this.." 4 comments
12/18/2011 page 223
40.0% "Finally understanding part of the secret. I keep reading but the story is unfolding oh so painfully slow. At times, it is just a tiny bit annoying. Lots of pages of miniscule reveals."
12/24/2011 page 378
68.0% "The Aftermath"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sera I'm glad that you liked it!

MichelleCH Sera wrote: "I'm glad that you liked it!" It did grow on me and still has me thinking!