Gold Grino's Reviews > The Broken Destiny

bookshelves: dystopia, favorites, series, read-in-2012
Read from August 24 to 28, 2012

Initially posted here:
www.wefancybooks.blogspot.com

"I'm just a shy girl who isn't capable of anything other than being unhappy with everything around her. I don't have any power." Or Ava thought so... A 16 year old girl, product of a genetic experimentation, who felt nothing but hollow inside her, is about to face the world with a different perspective and power.

They live in Poseidon, a planet where the failed human experiments, Minoans fled to when Earth was not habitable for them anymore, or what The Council forced them to believe. All the while Ava kept a diary of his mom revealing some very important information that made her question so many things yet no one could give her answers. Until that one particular incident… Oooh, this book is really exciting! Heart-pounding! That incident served as the eye opener for her... Yes, you better read it yourself. :)

Ava thought she was incapable of having emotions until she stayed with the Minoans, got closer with Maya and met her brother, Enoch. Arrogant, hot-tempered and a little stony! Everybody advised her to stay away from him, even her sister said, "Enoch is bad news." Her instincts told her the same, but something inside tells her that it's ok to be with Enoch... And if you are in her shoes, what are you going to do?

Then there's this Troy, whom Ava didn't know really well yet a force keeps pulling her towards him. Dark and irresistible. What could be better than having two knight-in-shining-armor kind of guys fighting for you? But hey, the story isn't just about them. It tackles a wide range of issues, Ava being The One to save the people, the 'changes' she had to endure, the witches, The Zulus, her bloodline, the prophecy, etc...

"To know yourself, you have to know who you are not. To find the light, you have to go through the dark."

I just had a little bit of a hard time remembering the relationship of the characters but overall, I love the plot, I love the clarity and simplicity of how the story was delivered, I love how alive and witty and funny the characters are. Yes, everything is just wonderful!

I'm not much of a sci-fi, Dystopian fan but I enjoyed this, so much that I don't even want to end it, very impatient for the next book! It is so hard to contain everything in a review without spilling anything so I'm stopping myself now and urging you to read this. You won't regret it, I promise!

Oh, and don't you just love the cover?