Kia's Reviews > Silver Sparrow

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

U 50x66
Aug 24, 2012

Read from August 23 to 24, 2012

This was actually my second time trying to read this book. For me it was hard to get into at first. The premise of it didnt really excite me but I forced myself to read on and hoped that it got better.

I kinda loved/hated every character. I hated the "dad" throughout the book. He was a despicable person and I was mad at the end when he really didnt even have to pay for what he did.

I went back and forth between loving and hating the uncle. In the end I was left dumbfounded as to why he even went through all of that. It didnt make sense. He didnt gain anything. He didnt even get a family of his own and he was too sweet a guy for it to end up like that.

I mostly hated Dana's mom but I could see why she did things the way she did (abandonment issues.)

I loved and felt sorry for Dana and Churisse the most. Their parents were all fucked up individuals.

The book got really good towards the end and then fizzled out. I wanted MORE. It was a really good read tho. I probably wouldnt read it again but I was entertained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Sparrow.