nicole's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from August 24 to 27, 2012

I can't even believe these two series are written by the same author. The list of adjectives to describe the change are long: more mature, well-thought out, evenly passed, more compelling, better characters. Coming to this series late made me appreciate the growth Clare underwent in the three years between the publication dates of City of Bones and Clockwork Angel. What makes this prequel work without being hokey is that Clare inserts better developed characters in a familiar world whose constraints and limitations are now fully comfortable for her. Gone are Clary and Co. -- those clones whose basis in fanfiction come across as a bad odor when compared to this stronger quality writing, who constantly needed the author to lift them out one absurd hurdle after another. There's no need to write Tessa, Will, and Jem out of inadvertent corners -- their characters work best with the restrictions in which they are placed. They undergo real losses, are working through subtle relationship issues, and endear the reader much more as it all happens. I love how Clare chose to play her cards close to her chest, leaving the reader feel as if they know less about the mysteries than they did at the start.

Just to be clear, though, we're all Team Jem, right?

I should have finished this in the well-lit Sears Auto Center while I waited for my screw-d time to be repaired (and then replaced). Instead I called my dad and had to read the last page late into the night, with a post-packing beer buzz.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.