Kristen's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

Aug 24, 12

Read on August 24, 2012

Okay...seriously, Lowe is the "Forest Gump" of Hollywood complete with stories and anecdotes of famous friends, triumphs, struggles. It is a book that shows the people do change and evolve as they learn lessons. Lowe really illustrates that in his narrative. Lowe describes his roles, his transformation into a "star" and the constant fighting to be known as an actor.

He does this in such a way that his audiobook is a welcome part of my day - listening to a conversation.

Now to the spoilers(don't read past this point)...
He starts with the family struggles and how he got to L.A., how he fell into the industry (he really should thank Jim Henson), going to school with the Sheens (Emilio and Charlie), meeting Martin Sheen for the first time. I was touched by how he described his youth - being caught in the glamour of life, being torn down by that same glamour, and rising to become the man he is today - a devoted husband and father. He talks about his connection to 9/11, to various actors you grew up watching and loving, his struggle with alcoholism and why it was a struggle.

You can tell, family is important and have taught Lowe that while being an actor is important, being passionate is more critical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

08/24/2012