Sesana's Reviews > Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1

Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: comics, superhumans
Read on August 24, 2012

This thing is massive. 27 issues in all (Captain America 1-25, the 65th anniversary special, and the Winter Soldier one-shot). It's got the entire Winter Soldier storyline, all the way through the Civil War stuff. I had already read the first half or so of the Winter Soldier story in a different trade.

I remember saying in the 90s, "Nobody in comics is really dead, except Jason Todd, Bucky, and Uncle Ben." It's a much shorter phrase now. But I'll be honest, although the idea of resurrecting Bucky really irritated me (he'd been dead, what, 40 years?) the execution of the concept ended up being one of the best comic book resurrections I can recall reading. It makes (comic book) sense and requires very little in the way of suspension of disbelief (or eye rolling, for that matter). And what's done with Bucky once he actually starts to show up again is great, and it brings in a character that could be really interesting.

The Civil War stuff... It's ok. Brubaker seems to deal with it as little as possible, which is totally fine by me, and what is there is handled about as well as it could be. The ending of issue 25 has a sucker punch at the end that I didn't see coming.

The 65th anniversary issue is a retro story, set during World War II and starring Cap himself, Bucky, and Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos. Awesome. The Winter Soldier one-shot was a great story, and I especially liked getting to spend some considerable time in Bucky's head.

And then there's House of M. I have to wonder how Brubaker (or any other writer who wasn't working on an X-book) felt when they got the editorial directive that they had to spend a month in an alternate reality, their own storylines be damned. The issue of Captain America (#10) is so out of context compared with the actual story that it's published at the back of this collection. Brubaker may have hated having his story interrupted for this, but the end result is really fantastic, and one of my favorite single issues of the collection. In short, Cap never got frozen and actually lived through the decades that followed. It's a great opportunity to show his integrity without the mask.

About the only drawback this particular collection has is that it's so heavy it could give you carpal tunnel. Prop it up on something while you read it, or just get the shorter trades, but read it in any event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1.