Staciel's Reviews > The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: favorite-kid-books, rated-5-stars
Read in August, 2012

I hope that all readers have a little book shop in their lives where they find gems recommended by the staff there-- this is where I first heard of this book. As this book shop has such an amazing track record with me, I bought it without hesitation trusting that it would be well worth it.

And let me say this-- I rarely tackle a book in one sitting, but I just had to in this case. It has big font and lots of spacing, so length wasn't an issue, I just didn't want to put it down. I wanted to know how it ended for the animals that you come to care about in a matter of a few pages.

I do believe that this is one of those books written more for the kid in every adult..I don't know if I could read this aloud to my kids without shedding a tear or two, and I just think that at their current ages (both under 10), they wouldn't fully appreciate it.

However, that being said, my plan is to leave it on my 'Mommy's favorites' shelf for them to discover when they have grown and matured a bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One and Only Ivan.