Dan 1.0's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Feb 11, 15

bookshelves: 2012, sf, man-tears, downgrade-parade
Read from September 01 to 02, 2012

In the dystopian future of 2044, the world is going down the crapper and many people spend most of their free time playing OASIS, an online virtual reality game, sifting through every minute detail of the creator's life, for whomever unravels a series of riddles James Halliday left behind inherits it all. Will teenager Wade Watts be the one?

As I've said in the past, every once in a while a reader will unearth a book that feels as if it was written especially for them. For me, Ready Player One is one of those books.

I wasn't completely sold at first. OASIS reminded me of The Metaverse from Snow Crash and Wade wasn't all that interesting to me. Then he referenced The Last Starfighter and I suddenly became more interested. By the time the Tomb of Horrors was mentioned, I was completely hooked.

The plot's structure isn't that revolutionary. It's pretty much your standard hero's journey. As the story unfolded, the characters are what made the book unputdownable. The setting, a dystopia where there's a Global Energy Crisis going on and people live in skyscraper-trailer parks called stacks is both imaginative and horribly plausible.

I hate to admit it but I was feeling some kinship with Wade as the book progressed. Is spending most of your free time in OASIS really that much different than reading for hours on end? Also, the book explores the nature of people and their online avatars. The revelation of Aech's true identity illustrates the difference between perception and reality quite nicely, just like the time when I met Kemper and discovered he wasn't a gun-toting chimp in a suit. Apparently, he left his guns at home that day. Or the time when I met Stephen and discovered he WAS a book-reviewing robot.

A large part of the appeal of Ready Player One is the astounding amount of pop culture references. While most of them are from the 1980's, a few are not. The Matrix and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for example. I suspect younger readers won't get as many of the reference and not enjoy the books as much. However, as a child of the 80's and a dyed in the wool geek, I enjoyed the book very very much.

As I said earlier, the plot isn't revolutionary but it's still an enjoyable read. A single man-tear threatened to escape my eye during the epilogue but I fought it back.

Much Later Edit: The passage of time has colored my perception of this book. As I was reading Ready Player One, I thought it was the greatest thing since Tetris. However, once you strip away the nostalgia, it's still enjoyable but really nothing special. I'm downgrading it to a more realistic 3.5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

09/01/2012 page 15
show 10 hidden updates…

Randy You'll like this one.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 I officially started digging it when Wade went to the Tomb of Horrors.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways And just in time!

Kemper My suit was at the dry cleaners....

Trudi I just miss my ghetto blaster, Prince cassettes, and Atari Pac-Man (sigh). Those were the days.

Carol. Whew! What does one treat man-tears with? Tissues made of scratchy Brilo pads?

Trudi I want to know that too. Should I be stocking up in case of a man-tear emergency?

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Carol wrote: "Whew! What does one treat man-tears with? Tissues made of scratchy Brilo pads?"

Man-tears can only be treated with solitude and the drinking of alcoholic beverages.

message 9: by Kemper (last edited Sep 03, 2012 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kemper I was always taught that man tears must be soaked up by a filthy bar rag soaked in whiskey and beer.

An Odd1 "man-tears"? snicker-snort

Trudi Kemper wrote: "I was always taught that man tears must be soaked up by a filthy bar rag soaked in whiskey and beer."

I was told that method is to be used for the One Manly Tear only. I'm thinking Tears plural must require harsher measures.

message 12: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Sounds cool, adding to TBR :)

message 13: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I'm having trouble "liking" reviews, so I'll be back later.

Dan, you need to add a "man-tears" shelf.

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Nancy wrote: "Dan, you need to add a "man-tears" shelf. "

Not a bad idea...

message 15: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Trisha wrote: "Sounds cool, adding to TBR :)"

It's full of 80's references so you'll probably enjoy it.

message 16: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Nancy wrote: "I'm having trouble "liking" reviews, so I'll be back later.

Dan, you need to add a "man-tears" shelf."

You too, Nancy? In the past few weeks, there have been several reviews that I "like" and later find that GR still thinks I did not like them. Forcing me to "like" again.

message 17: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Mike wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm having trouble "liking" reviews, so I'll be back later.

Dan, you need to add a "man-tears" shelf."

The like button was broken for over twelve hours tuesday and wednesday.

message 18: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy It's fixed now and I have a bunch of reviews to "like".

Melissa Nancy wrote: "I'm having trouble "liking" reviews, so I'll be back later.

message 20: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Melissa wrote: "I agree whole-heartedly, both with trying to like this review & not being able to & the man-tears shelf..."

All sensitive guys should have one.

message 21: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike I just finished this one today. Awesome book!!

message 22: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Mike wrote: "I just finished this one today. Awesome book!!"

I'm ready for Cline to write another one.

Carol Lindsey Great review, Dan. I look forward to more by Cline, too!

message 24: by Nathan (new) - added it

Nathan Hurst Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. I'll put it to the top of my 'to read' list.

message 25: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Nathan wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. I'll put it to the top of my 'to read' list."

Bedlam and Ready Player One seem to be spiritually related.

Bedlam:Jumaji::Ready Player One:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Stephanie Swint I think the reference to man tears sold me on reading this book. I'm currently enjoying it.

message 27: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Stephanie wrote: "I think the reference to man tears sold me on reading this book. I'm currently enjoying it."

It was a really fun read. I'm waiting for Cline to put out another book.

Amber Great Review Dan! I read this and my mom and I listened to the audiobook that Wil Wheaton narrated and it was pretty good. I hope they make the movie of this book. :)

message 29: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Amber wrote: "Great Review Dan! I read this and my mom and I listened to the audiobook that Wil Wheaton narrated and it was pretty good. I hope they make the movie of this book. :)"

Thanks! I'm ready for the new Cline book even though it sounds like a ripoff of The Last Starfighter.

Evgeny So it is 5 stars according to the last line of your review, or 3 stars?

message 31: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 3.5, upon further reflection.

message 32: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Milne It was all about the nostalgia for me, which is why I've been hesitant about nabbing an ARC of his latest. Without that nostalgia, I'm not sure I'm interested.

message 33: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Are there ARCs of Armada out there? Armada sounds like an entire book of The Last Starfighter nostalgia to me. I'll probably still read it.

Michelle M My son (13 at the time) adores this book, he's read it three times now, and is actively searching out the references he didn't know, something about it pushed just the right buttons. It's so exciting to see him *love* a book.

message 35: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Milne Dan wrote: "Are there ARCs of Armada out there? Armada sounds like an entire book of The Last Starfighter nostalgia to me. I'll probably still read it."

I spotted it on Edelweiss, but it may have just been a listing, not an ARC.

message 36: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan 1.0 Edelweiss is dead to me.

message 37: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Milne Dan wrote: "Edelweiss is dead to me."

I had a LONG dry spell of declined titles (most of which were eventually approved on NetGalley), but I was approved last month for Fletcher's Beyond Redemption & Brett's The Skull Throne. Waiting with baited breath on Stephenson's Seveneves right now.

message 38: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I also listened to this as Wil Wheaton read it. He really makes this book pop. He sounds just like I thought the kid would & had the emotions down pat. Fantastic. That's the only reason it got 4 stars from me.

message 39: by Josh (new)

Josh Rockin' interesting read. I need to slowly back away from my Xbox.