Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Orphan Master's Son

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, contemporary, literary
Read on August 24, 2012

Not since reading Wild Swans have I been as deeply affected as I was while reading The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. The story of Pak Jun Do is a powerful, moving story and opened my eyes to so very much I did not know. I did not know much about North Korea, Kim Jong Il, or really anything that was happening until I got a taste of it in this novel and it's done what every good book strives to do - awakened my curiosity.

This is, in a way, a sort of traveling narrative-type of story. Through the course of the book we're introduced to various characters in Pak Jun Do's life - the Orphan Master (his father), the Captain, and so on and so forth. Each person has an impact on him, each one provides a valuable lesson, and each one gives us, the readers, an insight into a different aspect of life in North Korea.

This book is talked about. It's received a lot of hype, and that hype is deserved. Don't let it put you off from reading it. It's a thoroughly engrossing story that is not only beautifully written, but also very accessible to readers of all types.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orphan Master's Son.