Donna Parker's Reviews > Hello Goodbye Hello: A Circle of 101 Remarkable Meetings

Hello Goodbye Hello by Craig  Brown

Sep 13, 12

Read from September 06 to 13, 2012

Bizarre and delightful book, so glad I won this from the Goodreads First Reads program. I have never been a person to be impressed by celebrities just because they're celebrities, they actually have to do something impressive and I'm just as impressed when anyone does anything impressive, or not depending on the circumstances, intentions, back story, day, mood, etc. That being said this charmingly dysfunctional friendship bracelet of close encounters of the weird and wild kind through recent history is a fascinating, witty, and rutted ride.
Some examples that kept me page-turning: Adolf Hitler is Knocked Down by John Scott-Ellis, August 22, 1931; George Ivanovich Gurdjieff Cooks Sauerkraut for Frank Lloyd Wright June 1934; Sarah Miles Fails to be Excited by Terence Stamp January 1961; Geoffrey Fisher is Photographed by Roald Dahl Summer 1931; Charlie Chaplin Plays Straight Man to Groucho Marx July 14th, 1937 and Groucho Marx Wants to be Taken Seriously by TS. Eliot June 1964 to name a few. If you find the titles intriguing, imagine the actual stories themselves. Celebrities are people and whether chance meetings or friendships people bungle along really well or horribly because personalities match or clash.
I had a time machine how cool to be watch: Grouch Marx and T.S. Eliot, or Helen Keller and Martha Graham, or Salvador Dali and Sigmund Freud, or Janis Joplin and Patti Smith, or Rudyard Kipling and Mark Twain, or Harry Houdini and Theodore Roosevelt, or H.G. Wells and Josef Stalin, and the list flows, come on, just to be that fly on those walls even briefly, almost worth what your feet would be covered in, er, maybe not. Thank you Mr. Brown for the awesome and humbling stroll through time; I have a feeling this book goes on my shelf to be revisited for a smile, laugh, or merely pondering my place in the universe.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello Goodbye Hello.

09/06/2012 page 14