Peter Schwotzer's Reviews > Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations by Eric J. Guignard

Sep 19, 12

Read from August 24 to September 12, 2012

I was very intrigued when Eric contacted me and asked if I would be interested in reviewing his anthology “Dark Tales Of Lost Civilizations”. Ever since I was a young boy and read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Lost World” I have been fascinated by lost civilizations. The thought of discovering a lost world, especially as a boy, was and still is terribly exciting to me.

I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality and depth of the stories in this collection. Did I like every story…well…no, but such is the case with most anthologies I read. I always have my favorites and some I don’t enjoy quite so much. But this in no way takes away from the book. I found the stories to be very well written, filled with interesting characters and places.

If you love tales of lost civilizations you would be hard pressed to find a better group of tales gathered in one place.

That being said, here are a few of my favorites from the book;

Directions by Michael G. Cornelius; This was my favorite story in the collection. For those of you who follow my reviews and know me know how much of an influence “The Wicked Witch Of The West” had on shaping my love of being scared, horror and monsters.

This is a simply fabulous take on the Oz Witches mythos and is one of the best short stories I’ve read this year.

Königreich der Sorge (Kingdom of Sorrow) by C. Deskin Rink; A really great story of the Nazi’s unquenchable search for power and what they discover. A really frightening tale of desecration and evil better left undisturbed.

The Nightmare Orchestra by Chelsea Armstrong; A first time published author presents a terrifying and unique look at the dreams that haunt us.

The Funeral Procession by Jay R. Thurston; Genghis Khan, who hasn’t heard of this amazing and feared conqueror. This tale takes you on a journey with an archaeology team in search of the burial ground of Genghis Khan and what they discover.

The Tall Grass by Joe R. Lansdale; In this tale Mr. Lansdale again shows us his considerable talents and why he is one of the best in the business. This story is atmospheric and frightening and shows that when someone tells you not to stray to far…don’t.

These were just a few of my favorites in the collection. I am sure you will find your own.

“Dark Tales Of Lost Civilizations” is a great group of stories, especially for those of us that love tales of adventure and discovery, even if some of the discoveries are horrific. You would be remiss if you didn’t give this anthology a try and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations.