Donna 's Reviews > Where We Belong

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Jul 06, 2013

Where We Belong Reason why I will never read anything by this author: http://coreyann.me/?p=141
And the reason why I think it is acceptable for me to blacklist books because of an author's personal behavior is this: If you are not intelligent enough to refrain from engaging in arguments with those who write negative reviews (or to refrain from encouraging your friends, family, fans, agent, etc from doing so) then I am absolutely certain that you do not have the wit to pen something I could enjoy. I would hope that any author I read and respect would have the common sense to respect the consumers of their products, and at the very least, have enough business savvy not to tarnish their own brand by making themselves look foolish in a public venue. If your readers can't tell a personal attack from a negative review without you or one of your people arguing it in the comments section or spouting off about it on Facebook, Twitter, etc, they must then suffer from that same lack of common sense as you do.
32 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where We Belong.

07/06/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wendy Darling Let's see how many of these reviews get flamed or taken down, eh? The entitlement is unbelievable.

message 3: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna I know Wendy. I actually mentioned in another thread earlier that I think it's absurd to remove or hide reviews because they are about the author personally. I think that author behavior is highly relevant to their product. I personally don't want to support an author I do not respect and I know that other people feel the same. Those that do not feel that way can simply disregard those reviews that focus on the author's behavior, beliefs, hair color, or whatever.

Wendy Darling Agreed. The direction in which GR is moving really disturbs me. It's...one of the reasons I haven't been spending much time here in the last few weeks. That, and I'm still severely jet-lagged.

This was a bad one, though. And it just spiraled more and more out of control.

message 5: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Rebecca wrote: "Thank you for sharing this. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to read this book or not but now I've decided not to read any other books by this author due to her behavior."

You're very welcome Rebecca. Thanks for commenting. :)

Melissa I started reading this one, but wasn't enjoying it much. Then, I heard about the scandal and decided to shelve it as "gave-up" and return it to the library. It's just so sad when authors attack their reviewers; everyone's entitled to an opinion about books!!

message 7: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna I agree Melissa, it is sad and kind of pathetic on their part that they can't let their work stand on its own merit without having to challenge their own customers opinions.

Thanks for sharing that link Susan!

message 8: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna I agree Susan. It is abhorrent that she used her public platform to encourage THOUSANDS of her Facebook followers to defend her against one negative review with no thought to the consequences. Then when she was informed of what her fans were doing (the threatening messages and phone calls) she said if Corey didn't like it she would take the review down. Disgusting. AND I think it even borders on criminal (reckless endangerment, harrassment, etc). Not only should she know better as a public figure but also as a decent human being.

Corey Thank you :)

message 10: by Ally (new)

Ally Absolutely agree. Corey, I hope you're doing better. As soon as I heard about all this I was glad none of her books ever made it past the checkout line for me. She's obviously a bully, and I don't think bullies have anything relevant to say to anyone. No way could someone that shallow write anything I'm interested in reading anyway.

message 11: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate L I remember reading about this when it all went down, of course I forgot about it until today, when I marked this book as to-read, then when I headed to the comments and reviews to see what my friends had said, I saw this and remembered. Right after I press enter on this comment, I'm marking this as did nto finish, because I will not read anything by an author who condones bullying of ever the most mellow of negative reviews.

message 12: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate L *even

message 13: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Me neither Kate. It's really unacceptable and unprofessional.

message 14: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna I'm surprised it took this long, but I finally got the Goodreads message that this review was flagged and removed from the community page. Eh, oh well.