Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Storm Glass

2190064
Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: stunning-cover
Read from September 03 to 06, 2012

Storm Glass takes place in the same universe as the Study series. This world is a far cry from the magic-phobic Ixia in Poison Study. Opal and her kin revel in magic. Her specialty, in particular, is glass: in fact, her ability to imbue figurines with power has earned her the moniker "Glass Magician." Opal's powers take her to the coast, where the Stormdancers live. They use their glass-making abilities to craft orbs used to capture the violent storms that ravage their land. But the orbs are breaking: and every time an orb breaks, the power it releases kills a Stormdancer.

I feel I ought to have liked Storm Glass more than I did. I sure wanted to. The magic system was unique. I loved the idea of storms and glass-crafting being involved in magic. And just look at that glorious cover! I want to hop right in there and play with magic glass balls, too!

Don't tell me this didn't come immediately to your minds, too.

The problem, I think, is that Opal is just not a very compelling narrator. Yelena was in dire straits. We are informed of her plight from the very beginning - committed for a (rightful) murder, sentenced to be a taste tester, learning about poisons as the understudy of a sexy assassin, and oh - poisoned herself so that if she doesn't return to Valek each night to get her dose of the antidote, she'll die a horrible and painful death.

Opal doesn't really have a plight. We get to hear about how she makes magic glass animals that other magic-users employ to stay in contact with each other (unicorn-shaped cell phones, basically). There's a lot more about magic. She and her mentor get assailed by bandits. She thinks one of the bandits is hot and calls him "Blue Eyes." She saves the Stormdancers. There's a lot of talk about how awesome Yelena is, and a lot of other people sing Opal's (aka "The Glass Magician") praises, as well.

Not only is there not much in the way of conflict, but Opal is also borderline Sue. And she tells everything, instead of showing. "I was annoyed," she might write. Or, "I did X because I was feeling Y." Emotions in books shouldn't be like a road-map. They should be like a game of chess, where the character makes the moves and you have to use your brain, as the reader, to figure out what's going on. I feel like this burdensome narrative really bogged down the storyline.

This is the second time I've attempted to check this book out from the library, and I've been attempting to read it for days, but no dice. There was a lot of potential here, but it wasn't even close to realized.

So here's some more Jareth/David Bowie spam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Glass.

09/03/2012 page 48
10.0% "Storm GLASS? More like Storm CRACK. I think I know who the love interest is tooooo. ROAR."
09/05/2012 page 104
21.0% "Opal is definitely bordering on Mary Sue, but I absolutely adore the magic system. Glasswork? Swoon."
09/06/2012 page 137
28.0% "

Something exciting needs to happen. D:"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Y U read all the books I want to read?!

Nenia Campbell Because I am awesome. ♥

message 3: by Freya (new) - added it

Freya I'm afraid my like was for the Bowie with Dave-bows coming from his hands :D

Personality, I've also had an issue with her books, I've enjoyed the Study series (although haven't read all the .5 and .6 's), but the massive dollop of what I feel is typical YA romance, made me laugh and in time rip it apart a little whenever I recalled it.

Nenia Campbell Well, I'll take what I can get. ;)

Yeah, there are definitely buckets of insta-love and Sue-ism, though the first study was pretty amazing-- especially since the romance was underplayed until the end and Yelena was a pretty interesting character. The later ones, though? Ehhh.

message 5: by Freya (new) - added it

Freya Agreed! I often find that the momentum can go a bit afterwards. But then I often place a lot of YA in a imaginary section I call guilty-pleasures, in other words, perhaps the writing wasn't great, however I still sort of enjoyed it but I don't want to really admit it! :P

Nenia Campbell Haha! I have one of those. It's called kills-more-braincells-than-beer, though it tends to lean a bit more towards the negatives. ;)

Sexual tension is definitely one of those things that tends to keep readers reading. That, and also the fact that once there's no more sexual tension the writer feels compelled to put as much sex as possible in (cough Anita Blake cough).

message 7: by Freya (new) - added it

Freya True, I think I hate that most! I mean sexual tension in a book is fine, and sure if the characters are in a relationship blah blah blah, but I don't like it being obviously shoe-horned in to keep the readers happy, suddenly... BAM! unnecessary bizarre sex out of nowhere every couple of pages.