Katie's Reviews > The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll: The Search for Dare Wright

The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll by Jean Nathan

Dec 17, 2008

it was ok
Recommended for: Anyone that knew of her books and likes biographies
Read in December, 2008

Man, apparently I'm the only one who didn't like this book. This rating is not to discredit the life or works of Dare, because I think she was obviously a very talented, beautiful, mystical, yet tortured woman (and that's why I bumped it to two stars), but to say that I just didn't enjoy reading this book at all.

First, I want to give some HUGE credit to Jean Nathan for her research on Dare Wright. As she wrote, there was very little prior info. on Ms. Wright available other than a few public interviews and photos. I cannot imagine the work Nathan had to do and the hours she spent to complete this book. Like she says, it is not written to get to KNOW Dare, because no one really does, but she does a great job using factual information.

Nathan's huge down-fall for me were her assumptions, cliches, and broad generalities. Everytime Dare did something strange, the author would tell the reader about it, then add a generality or assumption like 'this childhood story was Dare actually talking about herself since she was so disturbed," or "When her mother Edith said this, she really didn't mean it, she meant THIS instead (trying to control her daughter)." Though I appreciate Nathan's imput and ideas (and most of them are probably somewhat accurate,) I felt like she was trying to play psychologist. I would have prefered to read the factual information and making my own conclusions rather than having it placed in front of me in a nice, gift-wrapped box. The fact is that we have no way to prove what really went on in Dare's head AND THAT'S OK! Just tell the woman's story and appreciate it for what it is.

I had to force myself to pick this book back up. The writer is talented and Dare is extremely interesting (to say the least), but the way it was written was dragged out a little too much for me. Sorry guys :/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll.

12/14/2008 page 0
0.0% "Waiting for it at the library..."
12/15/2008 page 55
17.19% "I feel like the author is assuming a little too much and making too many generalities. We'll see where it goes..."
12/16/2008 page 75
23.44% "Too much assumption without a lot of facts. Decent read so far."
12/16/2008 page 75
23.44% "Too much assumption by the author so far. It's been an interesting read though."
show 2 hidden updates…