Isamlq's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Aug 24, 12

Recommended to Isamlq by: Stacia (the 2010 club)
Read from August 23 to 24, 2012

4.5/5

This was really good. I mean it, this was really, really good. In fact STORM (Elemental #1,) a book that took me totally by surprise in its awesomeness might even pale in comparison to this one. Who would have thought that stories of four hot brothers with super powers word turn out so good? So, if that first one was good, this one was so much better… perhaps because past the introductions, we get to have a closer look into what made one of them tick. Book One allowed us those introductions to the one who dealt in fire, in earth, in water and in air, but here it’s all Gabriel and his pain. I honestly thought there wouldn’t be much to him. In my mind it was as simple as this: secret pain = hot head. Except, his secret pain? It could get pretty angst-y painful indeed (and I’m not even being a smart ass about it right now.) The combination of him feeling the way he was then inconveniently overhearing something from someone else had my throat closing up for him.

Bad ass…or perhaps the not so bad ass after all. Yes, this is just still action-filled as the first one. Yes, there’s more than one heart stopping sequence to do with fire here. And yes, we finally do witness Gabriel in action, but big shocker here: it’s his drama that sucked me in. When we first meet, it’s obvious he’s unhappy. And though normally the ‘everyone doesn’t get me; everyone is against me’ schitck would not be my thing, Gabriel’s moments had me lump-in-throat. He’s this reputation of being a screw up hot head… and apparently the boy bought into it as well. Here, it’s only made clear why. Factor in a growing gap between him and the one who has always been there with him beating himself up over things he couldn’t change. And I did hurt for him, save the fact that things could get frustrating in how typically boy his reactions were: close up and push out.

When I wasn’t feeling sorry for the guy, I was laughing… because this book is mostly fun (though you probably couldn’t tell from how gushy I am over Gabriel’s drama.) It is fun! Take him and Layne, a pairing that’s initially an obvious one: straight A girl + hothead = LURV. And maybe it was obvious, but there is the fact that she’s her own baggage; that there are things she’s dealing with too. So them together was funny… with all that running away from then closing off; with all those thoughts of “does he/does she?..” Simply, they had me wondering (and laughing a little), why were they making it so hard?

A bit more interesting is how the rest of them reveal more of themselves. Take Michael, when first introduced, he was all overbearing and controlling. He remains true to those, but all for good reason. Or Nick who’s always been good, well, not so stellar here. While the same brings him down, it made him more real too. Basically, he’s not prefect. Funny thing though: since Chris has had his book day in STORM, he’s barely here… and that’s fine too given it’s Hunter, boy with white streak in hair, who shines again. Hunter behaving the way did he proved that he was as good a catch as (if not better than ) Chris was… until he wasn’t anymore. Why? (view spoiler) A fact that disappointed me greatly; still, I’m holding out because the teaser for BOOK THREE has me stoked.

Incredibly entertaining!
4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra My god, how can you read so fast!. Good news to me that you like #2 too. I hope to start with #0.5 in a few days.

Isamlq Sandra wrote: "My god, how can you read so fast!. Good news to me that you like #2 too. I hope to start with #0.5 in a few days."

I am enjoying this series... so far everything I've read (0.5, 1, 1.5 and now this) have been good. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, Sandra!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Great review! Glad this one worked out for you.

message 4: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Nothing, NOTHING will interfere between finishing my current reading (100 pages to go) and my Elemental #0.5. I NEED entertaining . NOW.

I don't know if I'll be able to connect these days to tell you how's going. I'll be on holidays. *About time*. But I promise to feedback as soon as I can.

Guys, what have you done to me! I joined the group and have never been so eager to read anything!