Erin's Reviews > The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down

The Longest Way Home by Andrew McCarthy

F_50x66
Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, biography, around-the-world
Read from August 23 to 28, 2012

I felt like this book was very user-friendly and simply done. It's not a complicated, find-yourself travel log that opens the narrator's eyes to the flaws of his own society, it's just a guy who travels alone, while growing into himself at his own pace. I had no idea who the author was until my mom saw the name and told me who he was. This actually turned out to beneficial for me, because I personally can't stand most celebrity attempts at memoirs, and I probably would not have been interested in it. This story is easy to relate to because of its discussion of the discovery that you've somehow become an adult, and yet have no idea what that means. The add-on here is that this particular adult has the means, job, and connections to figure out exactly what it means to 'settle down' into a state of permanency while in constant movement around the world.

The length was perfect; it didn't drag on with dawdling thoughts and reflections, each chapter focused on a different country he spent time in, and I looked forward to each new adventure.

All in all, it's a great book to transition into travel writing if you're new to it, or just a relaxing, light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longest Way Home.