Vicky Loebel's Reviews > The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston

Mar 05, 2013

bookshelves: 1920s-historical
Read in August, 2012

"The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt" was recommended to me on Goodreads when I asked for books with 1920s flavor. After taking a look at Amazon I thought...well, there's not much here, but it will be fun to browse through, so I bought it.

The book *is* visually appealing and fun to browse through, but it turned out to be something of a page turner as well. Frankie's story is not a particularly complicated one. Impoverished young woman attends Vassar and tries her luck in the world (brushing tangentially against the "lost generation"). Frankie neither reaps huge laurels in this world nor finds great sweeping romance, but her small successes and modest loves make her a charming and believable heroine whose adventures I literally couldn't put down.

In presenting Frankie's story as a scrapbook, Caroline Preston has done something much more interesting than simply cobble together a group of visually appealing period images. The best "traditional" books, in my opinion, are those where scene and atmosphere are evoked with a few quick strokes of the pen, while the bulk of the writing is devoted to character and plot development. Through graphic design, Ms Preston has reversed this technique, giving us abundant and carefully developed scene and atmosphere punctuated by short concentrated bursts of story.

The combination creates a compelling story, complete with secondary characters (and even a wonderful subplot involving a prince) and makes "The Diary of Frankie Pratt" a very fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt.