Md Estigoy's Reviews > A Coney Island of the Mind

A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: poetry, collection, contemporary, 2012-reading-challenge
Read from August 23 to 25, 2012

I have never heard of Lawrence Ferlingetti before I borrowed the 50th Anniversary edition of A Coney Island State of Mind from the public library. I picked the book mostly because I was charmed by its beautiful cover and given the fact that it's included in the very long list of "books to read" which I have just created. And also partly, because of the accompanying CD included in the book. Sadly enough, I wasn’t able to use the CD because of the very simple reason that apparently, it’s not working.

Anyway, regarding this collection of Ferlinghetti’s poetry, I can say that my favorites are poems, 1, 5, 13, 14 and 29 from A Coney Island of the Mind compilation; and ‘I am Waiting’ and ‘Autobiography’ from the Oral Messages compilation.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading the entire book especially with the almost melodic words of Ferlinghetti’s free verses and even the several societal and political references that he has used which I think, cannot only be considered timely during the period with which he has written these poems but are still relatable even today.

I have also discovered that he has established the City Lights Books, a “literary meeting place since 1953”, in San Francisco. I’m already planning to visit it as soon as I can and perhaps, I might as well buy my own copy of A Coney Island of the Mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Coney Island of the Mind.

08/23/2012 page 17
18.0% "We are the same people
Only further form home
On freeways fifty lanes wide
On a Concrete Continent
Spaced with bland billboards
Illustrating imbecile illusions of happiness"
08/24/2012 page 54