Erick's Reviews > The Power of One

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

M_50x66
Dec 11, 08

Read in December, 2008

The book I’m reviewing today is The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. It’s nonfiction story based on Bryce Courtenay Life. Courtenay’s main theme in The Power of One is that anyone can change the world.
The Power of One is based on a boy named Peekay and follows him on an adventure, during the age five through seventeen. This takes place during the World War II and during era when Hitler was taking over. This is all going in South Africa, a country with racial discrimination and hatred. His mother raises Peekay until she goes threw a mental break down, and then his African nanny becomes his guardian. He then is shipped of to a school where he goes threw troubles because of his race and his age. After many physical beatings, he learns to box out of a desire to defend himself. He learns from black man named Geel Peit who is black imprisoned man. Boxing continues to play a central role in his life in the challenges he face. He eventually brings hope and inspiration to his country and people next to him.
This book was good. I liked how they showed the rise of Peekay. From a little boy who used to get picked on to a man who bringing hope to country. This is a memorable book because of what time this takes place in and what he had to do to get there. My favorite character was Geel Peit because of how he always stays positive and kind of reminded me of myself except without the jail part. This book was also very descriptive; u could almost visualize the whole book. The book was also related to the fact that racism is everywhere and how it still exists in this day and age.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes inspiration tales about someone who comes from nothing and becomes something huge. If you liked the movie The Pursuit Of Happiness or the book Black Boy, you will love the book The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. It the same rise of Peekay and the same up bringing in Black Boy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of One.