FicTalk Blog's Reviews > Rachel and the Hired Gun

Rachel and the Hired Gun by Elaine Levine

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-in-2012

Reviewed by Heather

Rachel Douglas leaves her aunts home to return to her father’s. The journey is long and treacherous, but she is accompanied by her father’s hired gunman, Sager. Rachel feels an immediate attraction to Sager, but she has no idea of his real intentions.

Sager knows that Rachel is being summoned home so that she may be married off to his step-brother. He is dead set on revenge and plans to seduce her and ruin her before the marriage can take place. What Sager doesn’t plan on are his feelings toward Rachel.

I have been on a historical romance kick lately and when a twitter friend heard this she pointed me in the direction of this author. I am thrilled that she did.

I loved this book. From the very first chapter the reader is pulled into the world written by Levine. It reminded me of the romance books that I used to sneak and read when I was a teenager. Rachel and Sager fight their attraction and chemistry with all they have until finally, it all boils over and they can no longer keep their hands off each other.

This book definitely has a slow burn between the two of them and at one point I did find myself yelling at my kindle, “Just take her already!” but being that Sager knew that she was intended for another and as usual, he felt that he was no good for her, he fought his attraction. But when they finally do come together, oh yeah, it’s hot.

I was thrilled when I learned that this was just the first book of an entire series called Men of Defiance. I will definitely be checking out the next book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rachel and the Hired Gun.