Nikki Brandyberry's Reviews > Mate Claimed

Mate Claimed by Jennifer Ashley

Oct 01, 2012

I really enjoy this series! There is just something about it that never fails to keep me reading. Jennifer Ashley does a great job of making these stand alone books while still bringing back some of my favorite characters from past books. In Mate Claimed we finally get Eric’s story. He’s the leader of his shifter town but because of a local incorporation of another local shifter clan it looks like he’s going to have some competition. His concentration is torn between keeping his shifter clan safe from the clutches of the wolf clan that is descending and keeping track of a certain half shifter who is uncollared and on the cusp of her mating cycle.

Iona was a interesting character and she had the perfect personality for Eric. She’s strong and completely independent. She has no need to bow to Eric or his demands of her to become part of his clan and his mate. She sees clan life as a prison and taking the collar as horrifying and a deal breaker with having anything to do with Eric. As strong as she is Eric knows that her mating cycle will draw every unmated male within miles and they won’t be as patient as he is in waiting for her to come around. Concerned for her safety and confident he can change her mind he dogs her at every turn.

These two together was just perfect. The combination of her strength against Eric’s determination made for an interesting book full of conflict. Once Iona realizes Eric’s true personality and his total loyalty to those he cares for, she folds under her growing feelings for him. I love the animalistic tendencies these books bring out in their characters. The interaction that is a perfect mix between human and animal and how each situation determines which side will be more prominent. I didn’t understand why she never felt a bit threatened by the idea that Eric had a previous mate who died. Most women would and so I thought that was a bit odd that she never once felt like she couldn’t live up to the other woman’s memory.

Each book delves a bit further into the lore surrounding the shifters existence in a human world. Mate Claiming takes a look at the government involvement and how while they try to keep shifters captive, they also crave the knowledge of their power. The one thing I didn’t understand was why those who took shifters to study their blood, let them go after they were done. Since those people were ultimately working for a sect of the government who has deep disdain for shifter anything…they let them go. I would have thought they would have just…disposed of them.

Regardless of my one little issue, I enjoyed this one and eagerly look forward to the next book which will focus on a tiger shifter who was found in the experiment lab. Near feral and built for destruction, Tiger, will be an interesting character to figure out. He doesn’t have any socialization skills and has been held in a cage for possibly his entire life. I can’t wait to see him find a woman who makes his human side engage as much as his animal side. I felt so bad for him in this one and so I really hope he gets the best HEA he deserves. Sappy. That’s me.

I give Mate Claimed by Jennifer Ashley 4 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mate Claimed.