Becky's Reviews > Killing The Shadows

Killing The Shadows by Val McDermid

Jan 02, 09

bookshelves: audio
Read in December, 2008

I experienced this novel via an audiobook. I must tell you though, that I listened to the whole first disc at least twice through. I had a heck of a time at the start of this one because of the accent of the narrator. Word choices and pronunciations are a little hard to catch at first, but once I got going, it became easier. In fact, I actually began to like the her and her accent!

Killing the Shadows is a story about a serial murderer that is targeting serial killer thriller writers. The main character of the book is Fiona Cameron. She is a psycological profiler and the girlfriend of Kit Martin, a writer of serial killer thrillers. It's pretty obvious to conclude that Kit will be targeted at some point of the story and it scares the pants off of Fiona who does everything that she can to save the love of her life.

The story actually starts with a murder that is not part of any serial killing. So, there are a couple of story lines going at the same time. But, as the story begins to pull together toward the end of the book, it becomes clear why there were multiple investigations occuring at the same time.

The author does a great job with description in this book. Although there were times that I wondered why there was so much detail about what seemed an insignificant part of the story. But bear with it, like I said it really pulls itself together. The book was hard to put down, and had enough going on that I never felt bored listening to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing The Shadows.