Bett's Reviews > Scarpetta

Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell

Dec 14, 08

I gave up on this series. Then I saw that this latest book, Scarpetta, was getting great reviews on amazon.com. I wondered, could Cornwell have redeeemed herself? I thought the last couple of books were awful, and keep in mind, I loved this series set arounf Dr. Kau Scarpettea and friends, loved each one of the main characters.

So I bought Book of the Dead and Scarpetta. I read Scarpetta first, just to see if is was as good as some people thought. Usually, I won't read books out of order in a series, especially a murder mystery series, but I had to know.

I was relieved and pleased. Scarpetta is very good, very entertaning, with Cornwell throwing around obscure technical terms. I was in heaven. It felt so good to relax and really enjoy Lucy and Kay, Benton and even Pete again.

If I have to choose something to quibble about, it may be that while die-hard fans have cerainly waited long enough to have some of these characters pull themselves together, and while I was actually surprised that Cornwell allowed some of them to do so, maybe that went a little too far. Sure everybody has longed through all these books (16) for Kay to relax and be in the moment and find happiness, for Lucy to come down off the ceiling and get real, for Pete to clean himself up and get his head out of his ass, but I found his redemption, in particular, a little rushed and unbelieveable, considering he had further to go than anyone.

After 16 long books, we fans deserve a happy ending. That's all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarpetta.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

"for Pete to clean himself up and get his head out of his ass" Ain't that the truth though. Have just started this so am looking forward to reading the rest rather than dreading it like I have for the last several.