Nancy's Reviews > The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement

The Social Animal by David  Brooks

Aug 23, 12

I am 3/4 done and may or may not finish it depending on how I feel.

Many parts of the book are very intriguing and resonate deeply with my own ideals and ideas. The studies of psychology and sociology are fascinating. However, Brooks doesn't substantiate many of his facts has a very roundabout way of explaining things (a story-telling strategy aimed to sell to the masses, I suppose) which can be frustrating.

His presentations of situations (e.g. how he lauds college parties, which my Chinese parents would definitely disapprove of) as well as "facts" seem highly shaped by his background. He strongly implies what is good and bad, what individuals should aim to strive for, and these are all very American, middle/upperclass values (despite that he goes into deep discussions on minority and lower-class culture). I too, am an educated American and share too many of the same values. I think either a more objective presentation, or a view with a clashing value set would have been more refreshing.

Brooks also has an awful sense of humor.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Animal.