Juliana Jaeger's Reviews > The Art of War

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Aug 23, 2012

Undoubtedly the most useful written work I have ever read.

Its wisdom applies to every facet of human interaction, all contexts, and likely for all time. Every time I find myself at a loss for maintaining momentum and dominance in conflict resolution, I consult Sun Tzu. If I'm unsure how to proceed when striving to impress a person in a particular way, I re-read "The Art of War". Should I fail to develop a protocol for getting what I want out of any given situation, I'll find what I need in this classical treatise on strategy.

Sun Tzu breaks the battlefield down into its most basic components, and explores the roles each play to either victory or defeat. He was an astute psychologist long before Freud and the Viennese Schools ever existed, tapping into inexorable truths of human thinking and behavior alongside observation of history to derive his conclusions. All of his indicated observations of warfare can be transposed to virtually any scenario that can exist between people. I've come to find his wisdom applying to intrapersonal matters as well, particularly in defeating anxiety, despair, fear, doubt, and insecurity.

I wouldn't attempt any kind of negotiation, investment, pursuit, or a romantic conquest without finding its equivalent situation in this book. Yup, "The Art of War" is the most useful work one can consult when dating, too--not joking.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of War.