Balaji's Reviews > The Litigators

The Litigators by John Grisham

U 50x66
Aug 23, 2012

Read in May, 2012

The seriousness of the topics didn’t allow Grisham to include much humor in his novels but he shows us his lighter side in The Litigators. The setting of Wally and Oscar’s law firm generates most of the laughs with the relationship between them and their secretary and the dubious way in which they pursue and land cases described well. With David coming from a high-flying law firm, the contrast between his old and new places of work are also striking and described in funny ways. The humor continues as they fight against the bigger and much more organized law firm in court – in a setting that reminds us of My Cousin Vinny.

Another aspect that’s different about The Litigators is that there are multiple story tracks that add suspense to the plot. While the case against Varrick Labs seems right up Grisham’s alley, it doesn’t go the way we expect and the other cases David picks up(like the one for the housekeeper’s kid who has a brain tumor and one on behalf of the illegal workers being exploited by their employer) are also valid, important cases. So the direction the story will take is not immediately clear. Apart from the suspense element, the different cases make the book a fast read as the action keeps jumping between them.

In most David vs Goliath cases(like the one in Grisham’s own Rainmaker), we get to see how a small lawyer takes on and wins against a much bigger law firm. Though the setting of the case against Varrick Labs is familiar, Grisham gives us both sides of the case here as we also get a close look at how a professional law firm prepares and presents a strong case. So the novel seems more balanced. At the same time, the other cases achieve closure in a satisfactory manner also.

The Litigators doesn’t bring back the Grisham of the past but it is one of his more entertaining novels in recent times.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Litigators.