Andrea Estelle's Reviews > The Dog Stars

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Aug 27, 12

Read in August, 2012

I read this one FAST. It sucked me in. A post-apocalyptic story about living in a world nine years after almost everyone is wiped out by a major flu outbreak. The main character, Hig, is a pilot. He is living with his dog Jasper and his neighbor Bangley on an airplane hanger. Compared to "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which made me sick for a good week, this one had a lot more hope and some decent shreds of humanity in it although there are some similar parts to "The Road" also that really turn your stomach. Definitely very scary. Some gruesome parts. Lots of guns... Guys would probably like this book. It is written in a similar style to "The Road" which takes a bit to get used to - no quotation marks, short, choppy paragraphs. Crazy to think of a world where people would kill each other over some bottles of Coke and Sprite. I liked how Hig did hang on to his memories versus in "The Road" where the father tried to block out all his memories. I also liked how Hig helped the families and did not like to kill. It ends in a hopeful way and things do improve for Hig. Overall though, I really liked this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Stars.