Katie_la_geek's Reviews > Innocent Darkness

Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: ebook-arc, ya

Innocent Darkness is a book that I sometimes loved and sometimes hated. There were exciting, funny and enthralling moments. But there were also some annoying, boring and confusing moments to.

The idea behind this book is a gutsy one. It inhabits many genres and sub genres which I admire the author for trying. But at the same time I think it is where a lot of the problems with this book lie. There are pacing issues as we go from one theme and genre to another and I often got the impression that this book just didn’t know what it wanted to be. It goes from steampunk fun, to the horrors of reform school and woman’s rights (even touching on sexual assault) and from there goes somewhere else entirely.
For this review and more check out my blog

*I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for a review*

My big gripe with all this is that the book starts so well. The prologue and first few chapters were amazing and I really thought I was on to a winner but from there it just seems to die a bit. The steampunk all but disappears and the book losses its edge.

Like the plot I found the main character Noli to be a little inconsistent as well. She is supposed to be a bit of a brain box but doesn’t come across as smart. She is also in possession of an independent streak and is supposed to be free spirited but she struggles to stick up for herself.

There is also a love triangle that I just couldn’t quite get into. Love triangles have been done so often in teen fiction that authors now have to do something pretty awesome with the characters and the romance to make it stand above the others for me. Unfortunately that doesn’t quite happen here.

I felt like this book had a lot of potential but it couldn’t quite reach what it promised. I applaud Lazear for trying something a little different but generally speaking this book missed the mark for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Innocent Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kenya Wright I felt the same way.