Jenn's Reviews > Shadow Bound

Shadow Bound by Rachel Vincent

F_50x66
Aug 23, 12

Read in August, 2012

I always get really excited when a new Rachel Vincent book comes out. I was particularly thrilled by BLOOD BOUND, the first book in the series, so I had been waiting rather impatiently for SHADOW BOUND (making my slackness on this one rather embarrassing). I have high standards for her writing because she consistently delivers engaging plots, delightfully flawed characters, and layered worlds. [UPDATE: You can visit my post on the first book in the trilogy to see my take on the world building in the series.]

With SHADOW BOUND, I was a little unsure of what to expect from the romance because Kori starts out in such a dark place. And while I have my doubts that someone can go from being caged and raped to falling in love and having sex in a couple weeks, nothing about the romantic storyline felt terribly forced. I had a few moments of thinking, “Wow, she’s really bouncing back,” and wondering about how realistic that was but it never threw me out of the story. In fact, I spent most of the book wondering how the heck they were going to get out of this situation that seemed to be getting tighter and more less escapable with every turn of the page!

My favourite part of the book was probably Ian. He’s so noble and smart and sexy. He exposes himself to the world to try to save his twin brother, and is willing to do just about anything to do so until he meets Kori and falls for her. Watching their attraction and following their romance was really great because Kori’s about as far from a traditional romance leading lady as you can get. She swears, she’s a fighter, and she’s does terrible things, all for her sister.

After hearing all about Kenley in BLOOD BOUND, it’s neat to finally meet her and see what all the fuss is about. She’s an incredibly powerful Binder and it’s nice to put a face on the woman who bound Kori, Olivia, and company when she was a child. I won’t say too much so that you can enjoy it for yourselves. We also get to see more of Cam and Olivia, which is great, even if they do work for another Syndicate.

On the whole, I greatly enjoyed SHADOW BOUND. I have yet to meet a Rachel Vincent book I haven’t liked and hope that trend continues as I plan to dig into her YA Soul Screamers series this fall (having failed to complete the reading challenge in time).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Bound.