Sam Still Reading's Reviews > The Piano Teacher

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

Dec 13, 08

Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: early reviewer program
Read in December, 2008

I received this book as part of an early reviewers program.

The Piano Teacher, strictly speaking, doesn't have a lot to do with piano teaching. In fact, Claire (the piano teacher) sometimes feels like she's only there to tell the story of Will and Trudy and to tie up the loose ends for the reader. Trudy and Will are lovers in Hong Kong prior, and during the occupation of the Japanese. Their story interweaves with that of Claire in 1950's Hong Kong, who meets the Chen family and becomes their piano teacher.

I felt the Will and Trudy storyline had much more substance. I couldn't put the book down in Part II, which is wholly about them and Will's interment in Stanley. I found this part of the book much more passionate. Claire in comparison, seems like a cold fish, without much care or passion for anyone.

The copy I read was an uncorrected proof, so I hope the few typos are sorted out before publication. The cover too, for Australia seems to be very different (and a lot more boring) than the cover on amazon.com. It was a lovely story, but the cover did nothing for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piano Teacher.

12/12/2008 page 160