Jenny's Reviews > Taste What You're Missing: The Passionate Eater's Guide to Why Good Food Tastes Good

Taste What You're Missing by Barb Stuckey

Jan 29, 14

Read from January 16 to 23, 2014

I heard about this book when Barb Stuckey was interviewed on Science Friday on NPR. She expressed the same thing that she wrote in her introduction, which is that she went in search of a book detailing the information she was looking for, couldn't find it, and as a consequence researched and wrote it. It grabbed my attention right away. This book is an absolute must read if you have even a passing interest in food science. If you love Cooks Illustrated because it tells that it wants you to add a splash of sherry vinegar into your winter greens because it balances out the flavors, but never really knew precisely why, this book explains it. Or why they want you to deglaze the fond off your pot with wine or chicken broth. Or why they want you to add reduced cremini mushrooms and beef marinated in soy sauce in your beef soup. SO. FASCINATING.

Along with the scientific information Stuckey offers in this book, she also provides anecdotal examples (both her own anecdotes and anecdotes involving others) and injects her own humor into all of it. I honestly laughed out loud when she addressed the mythical dessert stomach that I frequently claim I have. Additionally, she has little food tasting experiments you can do on your own or with friends at the end of each chapter, plus a list of resources at the end including a fairly comprehensive list of smell and taste treatment centers (there's one in DC!).

Foodies, read this book. Keep it handy for reference, especially when you have children. It'll go some way to explaining their crazy eating behavior.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taste What You're Missing.

01/16 marked as: currently-reading