Barbara Mitchell's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Aug 23, 12

Can you believe this? Hot, humid summer days and I'm reading Wuthering Heights? It's true. Just finished yesterday afternoon. I'm very slowly getting through some of the classic novels I've wanted to read for most of my life, and for the most part I'm enjoying them.

Wuthering Heights, though, is a strange book with very strange characters. I had to keep reminding myself when this was written because I just wanted to slap many of the characters, especially the two Catherines for being so headstrong and selfish. As for Heathcliff's meanness and horrid personality, I still really don't understand fully, although his childhood explains a lot.

This is a depressing tale of the families who live near each other at Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange. They vie with each other for the two Catherines and everyone is unhappy. Wuthering Heights is dirty with vile inhabitants, Thrushcross Grange clean and ultra respectable. One family rich, the other poor; one educated, the other not. Complete opposites, and Heathcliff is determined to have everything.

This was Emily Bronte's only novel, and I think we should be thankful for that. I'll admit I was interested enough in the outcome to keep reading right to the end, but I'm left with a feeling of having wasted my time. Oh well, at least I can say I read it, can't I?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.