Sarah's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: best-covers, strong-females, ya-fantasy, lgbtq, ya-paranormal, netgalley
Read from August 23 to 24, 2012

I was going to wait until the last minute tomorrow to post this review so people would be able to go out and buy it the next day BUT I seriously cannot hold my emotions in any longer and you know what it's already tomorrow in Australia. What?

Well well well. Where do I even begin? For a long time now I've been saying to myself that I wouldn't hand out a 5 star rating until a book really wowed me. I've been very picky, probably a little too picky, but here we are you're hearing straight from the horse's mouth this book is indeed a 5 star chick. Why? I thought you'd never ask!

Unspoken was quite a slap in the mouth as I went into it not really knowing what it was about. I saw ooh pretty cover and something about a girl loving a boy who exists in her head and I was sold. Vital information: mind relationships really do it for me. Anyway, so the book starts out with a very quirky, funny and likeable heroine, Kami, and her persistently pessismistic best friend, Angela. You know how books and movies do that thing where they make the best friend character an insufferable asshole to make the main character seem all that much better in comparison? Yeah, Angela does not fall into that category. She is a fierce warrior princess and currently at the top of my list of favorite characters. And just when I thought she couldn't get any better (view spoiler) oh my GOD Sarah Rees Brennan I REQUEST THE HIGHEST OF FIVES! I literally had an out of body experience when that happened I rolled off my bed and collapsed in a heap on the floor. But I digress, back to the plot of the story. Kami Glass is just your average teenage girl trying to make it in this crazy world, aside from the fact that ever since she was a child she's heard a boy named Jared's voice in her head. She assumes Jared is a figment of her imagination until surprise! Turns out he's real and he happens to be related to the cute guy at school, Ash, who's been given Kami some unprecented attention. Both of which are members of the mysterious Lynburn family! The espionage! I can't!

Now at this point I was like euuuuuuuuhhm get outta here love triangle I'm not here for this. But it wasn't really so much as a love triangle but rather a love fucked-up-a-gon. There are several boys in Kami's life that care for her and instead of Kami being like oh woe is me which one do I pick she was more like I'm just gonna do me and see what happens. YES KAMI. KAMI YOU ARE GIVING ME SO MUCH LIFE RIGHT NOW. So Kami and our rag-tag group of supporting characters live in a lovely English town called Sorry-in-the-Vale, but creeeeeeepy stuff happens in Sorry-in-the-Vale. Animals are being sacrificed, Kami is being mysteriously targeted, somebody might get dead, and it's up to Kami and her friends to solve the mysteries surrounding the town and their own family's secrets. But as Kami soon comes to realize, she doesn't know who she can really trust. Not even the people she thinks she knows the most.

You: Okay Sarah we get it, it was a good book I'll look into it okay

Me:

This book is written superbly. I haven't been sucked into a story the way I was with this one in quite some time. The storytelling is lush and exciting. The characters are well developed and interesting, even the minor ones, and that is something that always gets a book on my good side. There's nothing I hate more in a story than throwaway characters. There are none in this book. Even the characters that were only there for a few pages brought something funny or a little bit interesting to the table. And can I just say how amazing it is to have a ~bad boy~ type male lead that's actually interesting, complex, and a little messed up but NOT a romanticized abusive or manipulative asshole? *Commence Slow Clap*

If I had to pinpoint one downfall of this book, it is that it does suffer from what I like to call Everyone Is Witty Syndrome. In this book, pretty much every character has the perfect quip or joke ready on hand 24/7, and usually that makes me so irritated I want to cry, but in this book the dialogue was just so on point and consistently funny that I didn't even care. And when I thought about it, me and my circle of friends are pretty hilarious all the time, so it's not completely unrealistic....right?

Another thing that bothered me was Jared's behavior toward climax of the book, but for the most part, I understood it was part of his character's journey, and I must say I am steadily aboard the good ship Kami/Jared. (Kared? Jami? Let's settle this now..I think I like Jami... Kared sounds like Carrot) Though sometimes their relationship did feel a little insta-lovey and inappropriately dramatic, the reader must remember that they've technically known each other their entire lives. They've formed an impossibly close bond. I'd probably be a little crazy over the thought of losing that person too. (view spoiler)

Tl;dr: This book is a wonderfully refreshing and entertaining young adult fantasy/paranormal novel (not to mention the delightful elements of romance and mystery) with a cheeky contemporary feel. So much of my favorite things ever going on here. I already want to go back and read the beginning and giggle to myself because I know what's going to happen. I'm having a hard time expressing all my feels. Maybe I should just revert to primitive language at this point. Book. Good. Go. Buy. Now.

___________

p.s. i received this from netgalley

p.p.s you can also read this review and others at wakeupatseven

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Don't feel bad, Angela," Kami said. "You know guys, they only want one thing. Repartee. I can't count how many times men have admired my well-turned phrases.”
Sarah Rees Brennan, Unspoken

08/24/2012 page 16
4.0% "just a few pages in and i'm already in like-like with the main character. Don't let me down Kami"
08/24/2012 page 23
6.0% "was about to peace because the name jared really makes me want to barf but he seems princely so i'm staying...i'm watching you Jared"
08/24/2012 page 44
12.0% ""What an interesting thought," Kami said. "Thank you for sharing it with me. Let me share a thought with you: Actually, I can walk myself to class. And I can also handle myself, so I'll be doing what I want." She shouldered her bag and headed out, moving past him.

PRAISE KAMI'S LIGHT"
08/24/2012 page 82
22.0% "you guys. You Guys. YOU GUYS."
08/24/2012 page 225
61.0% "i HAve tlost the abilitiyo to formnfn owrods"

Jazmin Omfg you're review is so spot on, I got this one as kindle thanks to my other who saw. Me freaking out for months for Unspoken!!! And sdjsfavojaschvoisdcbhoscvoi YES I was rooting for Jared. I WAS ROOTING FOR YOU!!!! I honestly cannot wait for Untold, I might actually go crazy in the wait!

Sarah Jazmin wrote: "Omfg you're review is so spot on, I got this one as kindle thanks to my other who saw. Me freaking out for months for Unspoken!!! And sdjsfavojaschvoisdcbhoscvoi YES I was rooting for Jared. I WAS ..."

I'm with you girl, the waiting is going to kill me. I can't wait to see how the characters and story are going to progress!!! I can't even properly focus on other books I'm still so hung up on the Unspoken world. What is life after Unspoken?????????????