Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Kept

Nov 26, 12

bookshelves: werewolves
Read from October 25 to 28, 2012

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I was impressed my Shawntelle Madison’s ability to bounce back after a, in my opinion, sub-par first installment. I’m not going to lie; I expected the worst when I first started reading Kept but the blurb sounded promising and I’m not one to give-up on a series after only one book, especially when werewolves are involved! It quickly became obvious after the first couple of chapters that Madison took her reader feedback to heart and made huge steps towards rectifying the shortcomings of the first novel. There’s nothing that I admire more than a debut author who actually listens to her fans. The pacing was excellent, the story entertaining and the characters showed amazing growth and maturity. Shawntelle has completely redeemed herself with this second installment!

I began this book absolutely hating Nat because of the way she acted in Coveted. Originally I’d found her condescending, immature, weak and incredibly scattered-brained. However, it didn’t take me long to realize that that was the old Stravinsky. This new version is taking steps to deal with her illness, facing adversity head-on and no longer seems to suffer from a superiority complex. I like the Nat in Kept; she’s actually someone who I’m interested in learning more about! By the end of this novel she’d done a complete 180 from her original character and I was overjoyed with her transformation.

Thorn is another character that evolved into a much better version of himself. In book one I found him underdeveloped, unappealing as a love interest and just plain bland. It’s extremely hard for me to become interested in an alpha male when he’s not overly hunk-y. Thorn really brought his A-game in this installment and by the end I was no longer adamantly opposed to him being a potential mate for Nat. I still prefer Nick over the werewolf but seeing how I gave this series a second chance I think that Thorn deserves one as well. Plus, there were some interesting twists thrown into this love triangle that lead me to believe that even though a choice was made at the end of Kept, nothing’s final.

The overall story was 100 times better than the one in the first novel; this book actually felt like it had a purpose instead of the previous one’s questionable attempt at a relevant plot line. I was engaged to the point of being eager to find out what was going to happen next. There’s a few storylines in this novel and I enjoyed the way that Shawntelle transitioned from one to the other. It was smooth, logical and ensured that there was never a dull moment to be had. The ending was surprising and I’ll definitely be picking up the third book when it’s released.

Kept is a fantastic read that can easily stand on its own; in fact, I’d probably recommend you start with this one. The quality of the writing, story and characters is remarkably better than those seen in the book one. Had this been the first installment I wouldn’t have been so hesitant to continue reading this series. I’m happy that I gave Shawntelle Madison a second chance and if you also struggled with Coveted, you should too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kept.

10/26/2012
10/27/2012
69.0% "100 times better than the first book. I'm actually liking this one!"
10/28/2012
100.0% "What a comeback! I'm so happy that I gave this series a 2nd chance."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Talk Supe I now get what you mean aabout this being better, the plot and the flow is more fluid.compared to Coveted

Carmel (Rabid Reads) You didn't waste any time between book 1 & 2. lol

Talk Supe I was in the zone. I am almost done with 2 post the qualifying race. Damn Natalya! So weak willed!!! gah!