Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Shadows

Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Usually I don't like reading novellas. I find that I have a harder time connecting with the characters with such few pages. So I was surprised that by the time I read the last page of Shadows I found myself missing Dawson and Bethany. Perhaps it's because I devoured Shadows right after completing Obsidian. I'm not sure. Or maybe it's because despite Dawson and Bethany's absence thus far in the series, I can still feel that they play a much bigger role than perviously realized. Whatever the case, I found this novella to be entirely bittersweet.

If there is one thing that I take away from reading Shadows it's the reasons behind Daemon's interactions with Katy in Obsidian. Don't get me wrong. That doesn't make his actions okay in any shape or form. But it does give the reader better insight. Basically, it's nice to know Daemon wasn't just being a complete jackass just for the hell of it (though, I do think he enjoyed tormenting Katy at times and she him). What's interesting was seeing the almost the exact same events that happened with Daemon also happening with Dawson; something Daemon tried very hard to prevent.

Going into the novella, I already knew the general story behind what happened to Dawson and Bethany since it's referenced a bit in Obsidian, but to actually see it play out was a different story. Dawson is the kinder twin of the Black family, so it was relatively easy to grow attached to him and root for his determination at staying with Bethany despite the obstacles in their relationship. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same feelings for Bethany as I did Katy. She wasn't a bad character and I didn't dislike her, but I don't feel I got a good feel for her. I think it's because most of the events were focused around Dawson than Bethany. And not to mention I was still riding my "Katy high" when I dived right into Shadows. I did like Dawson and Bethany together.  And I usually don't like "love at first sight" stories, but there wasn't any insta-love to be found, just instant attraction that later turned into something more, which is perfectly realistic.

If fans are looking for a more action packed story, this one probably isn't it since it does focus mostly on Dawson and Bethany's first meeting to their getting-to-know-you's and dates. It's a much slower paced book than its processor and less witty. I thought that was appropriate considering the novella carried a certain level of foreboding from the first page that demanded seriousness. All throughout the novel you are watching them go through the motions, attempting the impossible, all the while heading for the inevitable. I wanted to reach out and tell Dawson to not go to that movie theatre that night, but alas, the book was already written. *sigh*

All in all, this was a very good novella and I will definitely be continuing with the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows.

08/23/2012
34.0% "This reminds me of my days in high school. Such fond memories."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sofija Knowing how much you hate insta-love and teenage angst I advise you to brace yourself. This was so different from Obsidian (in a bad way). I am curious what you thoughts will be about it.

Steph Sinclair Sofija wrote: "Knowing how much you hate insta-love and teenage angst I advise you to brace yourself. This was so different from Obsidian (in a bad way). I am curious what you thoughts will be about it."

Oh no! D:
Well, thanks for the warning at least!

Pauline Oh man, I'm so glad I visited your profile. I didn't know there was a Lux 0,5!!!

Eva Rose That last chapter killed me, it shows you the incredibly pain that Daemon went through when he loses his twin, the person with whom he was once a single cell in his mother's womb. It was really good, Armentrout did an amazing job at giving each boy a personality.

Shambhawi P. No matter how much I hate insta-love in books Dawson made me grin most of the the time. The love between the triplets was too precious!

Lucia  The Loyal Book I've just read Obsidian and Onyx in these last two days (and I loved them), so I must check this novella!

Steph Sinclair @Nina Rose, I know! I felt so bad for him and Dee. :(

@Shambhawi, He did. It was nice to see how they interacted.

@Lucia, It's a must read for fans!