Kirstie's Reviews > With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child

With the Light by Keiko Tobe

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, josei-manga, manga, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters
Read from September 12 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

With the Light is the touching tale of Sachiko Azuma and her autistic son, Hikaru, and their daily life.

Hikaru has a lot to deal with this volume. Puberty strikes the Azuma household and a sudden transfer for Masato means the Azuma family needs to move in with grandma Azuma. Kanon-chan has a chance to prove she's made of the same strong stuff as her mother when she is bullied for her brother's behavior.

I'm so glad to see Kanon has learned well from her mother's example of quiet strength when she faces the bullies. She does a lot better than many girls her age would, but is also understandably upset as well. Sachiko finds her mettle tested by sharing a roof with Masato's mother who, while not a bad person, struggles to understand the complexities of dealing with Hikaru on top of suddenly sharing her previously empty house.

I must admit a feeling of trepidation on finishing this volume, since I know the next is the last and Tobe did not finished the series before her passing away.

I recommend this series to any manga fan or anyone wanting to try out manga as well as anyone interested in learning more about life with an autistic family member.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Light.

09/14/2012 page 306