Kirstie's Reviews > With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child

With the Light by Keiko Tobe

Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, josei-manga, manga, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters
Read from September 11 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Come meet Hikaru Azuma a young autistic boy in Japan with possibly the worlds greatest mother. Join him as he makes the journey to become a 'happy working adult'.

Now in junior high Hikaru is learning to ride the bus, but a fascination with women's hair might prove to make that difficult. Also a cute aide at Masato's work has a crush on him, will this lead to problems in the Azuma household?

We get to have another little peak at Oota-san and Kanata-kun and their possible relationship. I love how Tobe brings back 'background' characters and makes you care so much about them. I'm also loving how you can see that Sachiko is aging (it's not dramatic, but you can see it none-the-less) which makes sense since she's aged some 13 odd years since the start of the series.

I've said it before, but I love everything about these books, art, story, characters, it's all fantastic.

If you look on page 446, Tobe is talking about noise-cancelling headphones and does a drawn-on page upturn she's included a picture of herself working on a manga wearing them.

I recommend this series to lovers of manga, those who wish to try out manga and want to be sure they start with the good stuff and anyone curious as to the story of life with an autistic child.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Light.