Kirstie's Reviews > With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child

With the Light by Keiko Tobe

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: strong-female-characters, pure-awesome, manga, josei-manga, graphic-novels
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy

With the Light is the touching tale of Sachiko Azuma and her autistic son, Hikaru, and their daily life. Spoilers ahead.

Gunji-sensei retires as Hikaru enters the final year of elementary school and somehow the new teacher is even more obstinate than Gunji-sensei when she first took over, so the teacher struggle begins anew and is worsened by the addition of new classmates. These new classmates have very different disabilities to Hikaru and Miyu, which can prove to be disruptive to the autistic children. Graduation is fast approaching as well so Sachiko needs to think about what junior high she will send Hikaru to. Bullies from the local junior high (the previous first preference) force Sachiko to go on a city-wide trek to find the perfect school.

Plenty of action and upheaveal in this volume and an ending that makes me hungry for the next volume - which my comic book store doesn't have! Argh! To the online stores!

I recommend this series to any manga fan or anyone wanting to try out manga as well as anyone interested in learning more about life with an autistic family member.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Light.