Linda Parkinson-Hardman's Reviews > That Bear Ate My Pants!

That Bear Ate My Pants! by Tony James Slater

Aug 23, 12

Read in August, 2012

Tony Slater’s book is an ideal ‘travelogue’ and another of those perfect antidotes to those who think that living a life of volunteering abroad is a cheap and easy way to see the world. The book opens with him chasing an escapee and it continues in much the same vein. The escapees in question though are rescued animals at an animal shelter in Ecuador. His writing captures your imagination immediately and paints a picture of a world I’m unlikely to see that is so vivid, that I feel I have been there with him, every step of the way. I sweated up and down the mountains, I avoided being eaten by the Jaguar, I too chased an unruly teenage bear around an enclosure and I felt every one of the blisters, the scratches and the bites he received; I loved every minute of it, laughing my way through the Spanish misunderstandings, the adventures, the encounters with locals (both human and animal), in fact as a result if I ever find myself in Ecuador, I will definitely visit the Santa Martha Animal Refuge (I have no intention of climbing into a bear enclosure though). I am really looking forward to his next book as I want to find out what happened next!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Bear Ate My Pants!.