Kirstie's Reviews > With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child

With the Light by Keiko Tobe

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, manga, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters, josei-manga
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 4

With the Light is the touching tale for Sachiko Azuma and her family which includes her autistic son, Hikaru. (Mild Spoilers follow)

In this second volume Hikaru meets a new autistic child in his special education class, Miyu-chan. Hikaru also tackles the fun challenge of growing tomatoes with his buddy class and makes friends with Ishida from the other class. A wedding disrupts life by forcing a teacher transfer and the new teacher of Hikaru's class is sure no Aoki-sensei.

Again the reader enjoys a roller coaster ride with the Azuma family sharing their highs and lows. Sachiko remains a strong woman even if she hides within the mould of the 'good Japanese wife'. I love so much about this manga, the characters the story, the subject that is is impossible to not get swept up and read the entire volume in one go (which is impressive since the manga is a 3 in 1 sized volume).

Some of my favourite moments were discovering Hikaru's special talent of matching the perfect colour for an animal and seeing the power of massage :D

I would recommend this touching and clever manga for any existing fan of manga, anyone wanting to try out manga but not sure where to start and of course anyone intrigued by the idea of reading a story centering around an autistic child.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Light.