Sam Quixote's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Aug 23, 12

Read in August, 2012

If you’ve made it to the fifth volume, chances are you won’t need much to get you to read it and then the next – you’re probably too invested in the series to even question whether or not it’s as good, etc. But of course it is. With Scott and Ramona in relationship heaven, living together happily, stormy weather was bound to make its way to them sooner or later, and it does. Ramona finds out Scott’s was in a relationship with Knives Chau when he began seeing her and she flips out.

While Scott wanders from friend’s couch to friend’s couch he has to battle further Evil Exes in the form of twins who are heavily into robots. Sex Bob-Omb seems to have broken up too while Stephen Stills is in the studio recording their debut LP with Kim Pine heading back home to her parents’ place. It was good to see Kim getting some attention for once, I think she’ s been an overlooked character and Scott’s biggest what-if? girl.

The Evil Exes in this book are the weakest of the series, they’re just there because that’s the series – Scott battling Evil Exes - and so he’s got something to do. But at this point the battling is and always has been a side story to the relationship which feels real and contemporary and for some reason endlessly fascinating. But that’s part of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s brilliance, making you care about characters he’s written.

I loved this book as I’ve loved every book in the series so far – maybe more, because O’Malley makes me interested in romance, a genre I’m never interested in. Anyway, excellent book in keeping with the rest of the series. Roll on, finale!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe.